Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Nintendo has some taken existing GameCube games, that show the potential for Wii like controls and released them as "New Play Control" games - by tweaking their controller interface mapping to use the Wii controls instead.
For the most part, this involves changing the control scheme mappings, but could involve some further tweaks that change the original control scheme significantly to make it familiar with Wii users - clearly a larger user base than the original GameCube one.
I am excited that Nintendo has innovated on this idea, and the only thing fans will complain about is more GC games to be reincarnated on the Wii - especially games like Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, The original Metroid Prime + Prime 2: Echoes and Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II.
Its interesting - the Wii now has along with standalone Wii games -
* WiiWare - smaller games available as downloads
* Classic games - from older Nintendo consoles
* And now "New Play Control" games
Just more games to feed your Wii appetite. But Nintendo has yet to implement my Wii wishlist -
* Better graphics and hardware with 1080p support (via HDMI)
* A better classic controller that is more Xbox 360 and PS3 like - some games can take advantage of dual control schemes
* Wireless nunchuck
* Better, ergonomically designed Wiimotes
* Motivated marketing folks to attract more 3rd party game developers!!
© 2008 Vishal V. Shah. All rights reserved. Contents of this web site reflect my personal work and is not representative of my employer.